The idea of building a children’s home for our adopted children without parents originated in 2010. That year we approached the Kenyan government, which gave us the land for this building. On my part, the most important thing – the project documentation to get a building permit – was paid for. In autumn, we paid off a former owner, who once built a house on this property. At that time, the coordinates of the cadastral maps were not given, so the owner did not know where his property begins and where it ends. Right after that, we started to reconstruct the house so that we could move our first children into it as soon as possible.
Me and my friend Honza Štěpán were financially involved in this reconstruction. In 2011 we added a kitchen with a dining room to the renovated house. That same year, we got the first provisional certificate for running a children’s home from Kenyan government. Thanks to increasing number of sponsors, we installed huge water tanks in the upper part of the home in 2012, built showers and toilets, and the first 20 rescued Masai girls could move in. Since our organization was very conclusive, there were also a few larger Czech sponsors such as J&T Bank Manjana, singer Michal David and many other smaller donors, thanks to whom we started to measure other parts of the buildings according to the project documentation.
In 2014, we could build foundations and perimeter walls. There were more and more chiildren and we no longer had room for them at the top of the building. Thanks to the credibility of our endowment fund we won other Kenyan donors – British Army, Kenyan government, Jenny Davy, Choose Life Africa, Olpejeta Conservancy, Mr. and Mrs. Boonstra, on the basis of which we could continue to build a large building, kitchen and dining room. These buildings were completed in 2015, when the Kenyan government also carried out a first inspection of the operation of this rescue center. Although the inspection was successful, we only received permission to run our home for one year, as we had to eliminate many flaws such as water, electricity or unsuitable toilets.
We were constantly looking for new and new donors to equip the home with necessary equipment (beds, chairs, tables, kitchen equipment, etc.), which we managed to do that year, and we could also move the children who had lived in the upper part of the building to the new building. The older building then served as a staff hostel. In 2016, we eliminated the flaws that had been identified by the Kenyan government, we built new convenient toilets, built a library, a computer room, high performance solar panels that can cover operation of the entire home. We have already made several attempts to build a well but failed to find water so far, as the area is very dry, but we are not giving up and are still working on it. This year, a local electricity network has been brought to the home, and we are currently connected to it but we will still try to use our solar energy.
In the future, we plan to continue to expand our rescue center, build a medical center, school and help the increasingly growing sad cases in this area of such a beautiful country